Author Topic: Does screensaver mode let you directly launch the game?  (Read 219 times)

mgalaxy

• Administrator
    • Email
Re: Does screensaver mode let you directly launch the game?
« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 08:52:00 AM »
That would be awesome!  How long would it take before that feature is added to mGalaxy?  I imagine it'd get released with other features/fixes you're currently working on?
I've already implemented it...I'll try to send you a link to the alpha version in the next few days (because after that, I'll be on vacation for 3 weeks).

However, the behavior will be as follows.
If, in a screensaver that displays games (since there are also screensavers that only play music), the user presses the key dedicated to 'Select/LaunchGame' (by default, this is the 'ENTER' key), the screensaver will be exited with the game that was visible in the screensaver selected. (This will give you the opportunity to first see all the information you need about the game).
You're then free to press ?ENTER? again to launch the game!

supermandrew

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2024, 01:51:52 PM »
That would be awesome!  How long would it take before that feature is added to mGalaxy?  I imagine it'd get released with other features/fixes you're currently working on?

mgalaxy

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2024, 10:30:05 AM »
No, there's no forward/back button in the screensaver. The screensaver is programmed to stop at the first mouse movement or button press, just like any other screensaver.
I would point out, however, that mGalaxy has a button for randomly going to a game.
What's more, I could indeed add the possibility of launching the game shown on the screen directly by pressing the dedicated game launch button in mGalaxy!

supermandrew

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2024, 09:40:17 AM »
Ah, that's disappointing. :/  Do you think there's any chance this feature could be added?  I know that Emulation Station/ES-DE has that feature, and I can't imagine it being too hard to code in - without having any knowledge of mGalaxy's source, I imagine it'd be a filename check to see what video is currently playing, then if button "accept" or "X" or "A" is pressed (however you want to define it), check for the matching ROM file based on the filename, and launch the appropriate emulator as normal for the ROM.

I'm sure it's slightly more complicated than that but hopefully not too much so?

Likewise, is there a "next" button so that if I pressed right or arrow key right, it skips to the next preview?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2024, 09:44:11 AM by supermandrew »

mgalaxy

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2024, 03:23:46 PM »
No, you can't launch the game that is actually showing in attract mode!

supermandrew

Does screensaver mode let you directly launch the game?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2024, 01:14:43 PM »
Before I purchase the premium addition, I just wanted to check... does the screensaver/attract mode let you launch the game that you're previewing directly from the preview, or does it only show the preview video?  I can't seem to find this info anywhere on the forums or help docs, so maybe I'm just missing it.